Managing your shared parenting expenses is made easier with the OFW Expense Log. In this tutorial, learn how to create new expenses, update existing expenses, and respond to reimbursement requests from your co-parent.
In this tutorial:
Creating a New Expense
Before creating a new expense in the Expense Log, you must first make sure that you have at least one child listed on your account. You can view the status of child accounts linked to your family in User Management within the My Account section.
- Navigate to the Expense Log.
- Click the Add Expense icon at the top of the Expense Register.
- Complete all required fields:
- What are you doing: Select whether you would like to request reimbursement or if this is an expense you need to pay.
- Title: Label the expense.
- Purchase Date: Indicate the date the expense was incurred. This date can be in the past or future.
- Category: Assign the expense to a category that accurately reflects how the expense is to be split between you and your co-parent. Don't see a category that reflects the percentages you need? Click here to learn how to create a new expense category.
- Amount: Enter the total for the expense. The category you choose will tell the system how this total should be split.
- Children: Indicate for which child(ren) the expense was incurred. If you do not see any options available in this field, you need to either create or reactivate a child's account. Click here for instructions.
- Complete any desired optional fields:
- Receipt File: You can upload a single receipt file to each expense.
- Private: If you wish to keep this expense entry private, check this box. When marked as private, only you will be able to see the expense entry details. Private expenses will be marked with a red "P" in the expense register.
- Click Save to save your entry to the expense register.
Editing or Deleting an Expense
Note: You can only edit or delete expenses that you have created. Additionally, only expenses that have not been responded to by your co-parent can be edited or deleted.
- On your Expense Register, click the 3 vertical dots to the right of the expense in question.
- Click Edit to make updates to this expense.
- Click Delete to remove the expense from the Expense Log.
- You can also edit or delete an open expense you created by clicking on the expense's title. Then, click either Edit or Delete in the top right corner.
- If you are editing an expense, you will be able to update the expense's details in the Edit Expense window. However, if a receipt file was previously uploaded to the expense, you are unable to update the receipt file.
- After you are finished making updates to your expense, click Save.
Responding to an Expense Request
There are different actions you can take on an expense request submitted by your co-parent. To respond, go to the Expense Log.
- Find the expense you want to respond to on the Expense Register.
- Approve: Approving an expense informs your co-parent that you agree to the request.
- Refuse: Refusing an expense informs your co-parent that you do not agree with the details.
- You can mark the expense as refused or approved in one of two ways:
- By clicking the 3 vertical dots to the right of the expense in question. Here, you will see options for Approve or Refuse.
- By clicking the title of the expense in question to open the View Expense box. Then, click Approve or Refuse.
- If you wish to request a receipt be added to this expense, click the link for None (Click here to request a receipt be added).
Note: If you mark an expense as refused, you are still able to mark the expense as approved at a later time. However, once an expense is marked as approved, it cannot be updated to refused.
Expense Status Definitions
The status of an expense request will update depending on the actions taken by the co-parents. Here are different statuses you may see throughout the Expense Log.
- Open: Expenses that have not been responded to or had any payment activity will have a status of open.
- Approved: The co-parent to whom the request was made has agreed with the expense.
- Refused: The co-parent to whom the request was made has refused the expense.
- Approved (Payment Unconfirmed): The co-parent responsible for payment has logged a 'Check/Other' payment in the system. This payment, that was made outside of OFW, is waiting for confirmation of receipt by the other co-parent.
- Approved (OFWpay in process): A payment through OFWpay™ has been scheduled but not yet completed.
- Paid: The expense has been marked as reimbursed or a Check-Other payment has been confirmed by the receiving co-parent.
- OFWpaid: A payment has been successfully made for the expense through OFWpay™.