Every Weekend and 2-2-3 Visitation Schedules
Child custody and visitation can be a very confusing topic to comprehend. There are so many different types of custody and visitation schedules out there that all have their own benefits and downfalls. Many co-parents and family law professionals have their own opinions on which type of custody schedule works best but to be honest, choosing the best type of custody and visitation schedule for your family is totally dependant on your specific situation. Every weekend and 2-2-3 visitation schedules are gaining popularity and should definitely be given some consideration for your own situation.
Understanding joint physical custody
Physical custody refers to the day-to-day caretaking responsibilities for your child. When co-parents are implementing joint physical custody it means that they are both sharing these responsibilities for their child. In most cases, even though both co-parents are sharing these responsibilities it does not mean that the child’s time is split evenly between co-parents. In most situations this time is split unevenly, for instance, the child may be with one co-parent for 60% of their time and the other co-parent for 40% of their time.
In some cases co-parents may choose to split their physical custody of the child evenly. This is commonly referred to as 50/50 physical custody. 50/50 physical custody requires a very large commitment from both co-parents. Co-parents must be sure that their personal and work schedules will accommodate for a 50/50 physical custody schedule. In order for a 50/50 physical custody schedule to be appropriate for a given situation both co-parents must be able to easily cooperate with one another with little conflict, both co-parents must live relatively close to one another, and it must be determined that both households are suitable for the child to live in.
Optional schedules: every weekend and 2-2-3 visitation
There are a number of different types of visitation schedules that co-parents may choose from after they have determined that they will be implementing 50/50 physical custody. Some of these basic options include every weekend and 2-2-3 visitation schedules.
The every weekend visitation schedule allows one co-parent to have physical custody of the child during the week and the other co-parent to have physical custody of the child on the weekends. When using an every weekend visitation schedule it is important to know that time that the child spends in school is excluded from physical custody time. This means that both co-parents receive approximately the same amount of custodial time with the child. This is a very simple and easy-to-understand visitation schedule. It’s very consistent which makes it easy on both the co-parents and the child. On the other hand, this type of visitation schedule sometimes receives criticism because only one co-parent may ever have the child on weekends and only one co-parent may have the child during the week.
The 2-2-3 visitation schedule is also a very simple and easy-to-use option for co-parents who are implementing a 50/50 custody agreement. This type of visitation schedule allows one co-parent to have the child for the first two days of the week, then the second co-parent will have the child for the next two days of the week, and for the weekend the child will go back to the first co-parent. This type of custody schedule is considered an alternating schedule meaning that co-parent’s schedules will alternate every week.
Organizing your own physical custody schedule
Organizing these schedules can sometimes be confusing for co-parents since there are so many points where the child must alternate between the households. It’s important to try to get into the routine as quickly and easily as possible. The OurFamilyWizard website® Calendar is a useful tool for putting these plans into action. With the fully customizable calendar tool you can create perfect schedules for your every weekend of 2-2-3 visitation.